In 2011, it came to a point where blogging just gave me anxiety. I'd put too much time into my topics & presentation because I was trying to measure up (to my own standards and other peoples blogs), I had a hard time writing, I doubted my relevance (especially knowing I showed up in peoples RSS feed), and I could never come up with post titles. First world problems, I know. But really, blogging became too much of an ordeal for me and I'd lost that loving feeling.
Does anyone else feel like this?
Fast forward to now-- I still feel the same way! lol. So instead of avoiding this stuff, I'm counteracting my discomforts with easy solutions. Why not change what doesn't work, right?
These are the ways I'm smashing my anxiety areas:
• My blog goal is to archive, and the rest doesn't actually matter. I've just gotta stop worrying and enjoy myself :)
• So that I don't hit RSS feeds often, I'm making a new post at the start of each week and adding to that post all week long. It's comforting to do updates without an announcement or spotlight attached.
• I struggle with writing but I love a good list, so it's a lot more point-form from now on. Goodbye intros and multiple paragraphs.
• I used to keep my pictures in Flickr and loved the sets feature. So, I added Photo Albums to the left sidebar of my blog, and I'm enjoying the non-social media aspect. Less pressure to post 'the best shot' and edit everything.
• I'm going to use the weekly date range for my post titles... that should be easier :)
• I'd still like to share tutorials occasionally and I'll use a separate post & proper format for those so they're easy to recognize :)
• I know my limits with time a lot more than I used to, so it's just quick pops in and out with little notes, moments, inspiration, project progress, links, pictures, etc.
• I won't hide my weaknesses and I will try not to distinguish between blog world significance and real life experience.
See you around!
#1 Moved my books to the living room shelf and got obsessively organized. /Sept 14
#2 After 5 months single, I put away his blanket. /Sept 14
#3 I've hit my first weight loss goal and officially lost 20 pounds!! /Sept 15
#4 Had a head cold and I'm back to school today. When I left the house this morning, the outside sounded different and I realized how long I'd been re-cooping indoors. /Sept 16
#5 Finished making my About page :) /Sept 16
#6 I signed up for a 10 week yoga class and it started tonight. Half way through I decided I wouldn't be returning next week. I'm so good at talking myself out of things, but I realized there's no reason not to go, it's good for my back problems, and it's fun seeing everyones outfits. I started opening back up to the idea around my seventh sun salutation, and then came the relaxation part (does it have a name?) and I was sold. It was like Yoga dessert at the end! I'm sure the rest will grow on me, and it's fun to go with my mom :) She's pretty good! /Sept 17
#8 This ones for Holly who left a comment about what she likes to read on Blogs...
Liking: That it's Friday! I love staying home on Friday night and doing whatever I missed out on in the week.
Wanting: I'm on a tight budget this year during school, so when I want something, I take a picture and put it in this wishlist album. It makes it easier to walk away!
Eating: I tried Borscht for the first time this week. It was gorgeous.
Watching: Big Brother Australia (I like it even more than BB USA) /Sept 19
#10 I got Lola a new kind of treats at Target. When I gave her an old treat today, she actually spit it out. Lol, what a goof. /Sept 20
#11 Today I made progress on Elizabeth's website (current client), finished a Newspaper assignment for school, did my laundry and caught up on housework. /Sept 21