• JAN31 Currently working on a Zine at school; mines called Button Button. My zine will include fun stuff like... My favorite buttons, types of buttons, funny pop culture bits, wow to find good buttons, and lots of my photos from the years. Loving this project :)
• JAN29 My month of taking the bus to school has nearly come to an end. My thought was that I could buy a bus pass for $69 rather than driving downtown and parking for $9 per day. And then I'd either save money, or have that money for fun stuff. Day one: half hour bus ride standing on a fast + crowded bus and I felt like Zoe Bell doing Ships Mast. Day Two: missed my bus, wet hair under my toque and a 25 minute wait for the next bus, v-e-r-y cold. But after that rough start, I've enjoyed the savings (like I'm cheating the system), the people watching, and the break from being engaged. Plus, I don't need to scrape the windows on my Jeep!
• JAN28 Winnipeg was put on a 'Boil Water advisory' yesterday, and I didn't bat an eye. Turned the corner to get my Starbucks this morning and let out a small but audible shriek. Closed because of the water problem. It got real.
• JAN27 All of the feelings as my original Graphic Design class graduated today... happy, missing them already, tears, slightly jealous (but my day will come in May), great memories and most of all, really proud of them! They are a super talented bunch and such great people ❤
• JAN26 It's Sunday and I had an awesome day watching Netflix on TV and working in bed on my laptop. Coming back to my bed after a snack, I realized I was in a Tumblr photo of days in big white beds (see Jan8 below). Little life goals.
• JAN24 I can't express how marvelously I feel about this movie. I'd explain Boyhood as a story of life, changing course, relationships and growing into yourself. It was a calming movie to watch and I appreciated the absence of tragic twists and turns. Mason, who grows as the film was made over 12 years, and his Dad's real talk relationship really moved me. That's the kind of communication I value in life, and it was awesome how his Dad established that that's what he wanted with his two kids. No surface level stuff and small talk, be real.
• JAN23 I bought an NES Emulator late last year and it really makes living alone more entertaining. I like to play Dr.Mario or Mario Bros when I need a little break and Lola often watches me or the game while I play. Not an ad... if you miss your old school games, look into the Retron 1 or 3 or 5; I have the 3. They're not expensive, work dependably, use your old games (good market out there still) and optionally, you can plug in your old controllers if you like the original feel, which I do. Fun stuff.
• JAN22 I have a newfound curiosity for dancing videos dubbed with funny music.
• JAN21 Small childhood memories that are easy to forget.
1, 2, 8, 11-13, 17, 20, 27, 28 (turquoise), 30, 32, 33!, 34, 37-39, 42, 44.
• JAN20 ❤ Illustrator & Designer, Jean Jullien
• JAN18 Had a killer productive weekend... 12 hours of design work, a client meeting, nap free (Lola however was NOT), and supper at my parents. I finished a big to do list and I'm really excited about what I'm creating for my two clients. Above: A peek at Elizabeth's footer. Below: Rose's Color Story. I'll be sure to show you their websites once launched.
• JAN16 Got an assignment to choose a product (vintage scissors for me), then create a package with four variations. I'm using a thick piece of cardboard to x-acto an inset spot for the scissors, then building a box wrap for the design. Kinda excited about this one!
• JAN14 The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude. -Bob Bitchin
• JAN13 Benny Hill vs. Dubstep
• JAN12 Uggg, winter.
• JAN10 Made this little album for a friend recently. It has a fused plastic cover with an octavo signature, sewn in with waxed twine.
• JAN9 Forgot how much I like Portlandia.
• JAN8 Late last year, I became obsessed with the idea of having an all white bed. I'd see pictures of white beds on Tumblr (like here, here and here) and be thirsty to crawl into them. I needed a visual escape from my work right outside my door, so I changed it up, and it has honestly made such a difference in my rest. I feel instantly calm when I crawl into bed, and when I wake up, I feel light.
• JAN7 I shared my '30lbs down' photo on Instagram this week and received such an encouraging response-- thank you!! My friend Mandi asked if I had any tips, and I when shared about what influenced my weightloss the most, my answer revealed a lot of whats went on in my life over the past year. I wanted to record that here because... hey, real life, right?
Tips? Hmmmm... I quit drinking coke in March (average 1.5L p/day) and that was a huge kickstart! Plus, coke goes well with junk food, so without it, I think I was more naturally choosing better snacks. I didn't make a plan, or do anything very unique... just kept being more reasonable with what and how much I was eating. Became a bit more active too, but nothing crazy or daily.
I think the biggest thing was the amount of change and stress I went through last year... going to college, balancing school & work, choosing to end a 5 year relationship, going through the massive heartbreak & changing to living alone, and concluding my business partnership with Kyla (though good, still a huge change). Plus, I switched to a new class so that Keith and I wouldn't be in the same one, which meant leaving my school friends & support system, joining a new group midway through their program and graduating in May instead of this month. It was the hardest and saddest year of my life.
I used to LOVE food (I'd even food dance involuntarily sometimes), but with all that shit, change and sadness, I mostly ate for nourishment and requirement and the weight loss 'just happened'. I've definitely been intentional towards healthier foods & portions, but it hasn't been a lot of work... 2014 just kicked my butt.
Through the year, I also put a lot of thought towards what's right for me, who I am, how I take care of myself, and what I want my life to be like. I think that brought my body image into an even more positive light, and I've been enjoying the changes, and celebrating along the way, instead of 'once I'm __, then I'll be happy". I'm pretty confident with my body and it's been fun to be here.
I know that one thing that helped along the way, was wearing clothes that fit and that I felt good in. I went from a 3x to 1x (almost ready to go X now), and a 22 pant to 16 (almost ready for 14). Once clothes were too loose, I replaced them. Looking good was a great way to celebrate my current body and feel the pay off every day :)
• JAN3 This is cool! My mom found a picture of my '74 Wagon on the Whiitehouse's Insta. I sold Bacon two summers ago to pay for school, and haven't seen it around till now. How perfect that she's still surrounded by rainbows and in front of my favorite Winnipeg wall. Such a sweet reunion.
• JAN2 December/Monthly Favorites...
Watched on my holidays: Kings of Summer✯✯✯, The Way Way Back✯✯✯✯, Christmas Vacation✯✯✯✯✯, Non-Stop✯✯✯✯✯, I Know that Voice✯✯✯✯✯, Terms and Conditions May Apply✯, SOA✯✯✯ [I felt lost in the final season], Community✯✯✯✯✯
Album: The Bird and The Bee, Interpretting the Masters Vol.1, review here.
Song: Night Terrors of 1927 - When You Were Mine (feat. Tegan and Sara)
Youtube Channel: Angry Video Game Nerd
Game: Dr.Mario NES
Website Find: http://ThingsFittingPerfectlyIntoThings.tumblr.com
Picture: leave it to Dear Shirley
Post: Once Upon a Time
Pinterest: Ile Machado (my Pinterest)
Instagram: OhDearDrea, my faves 1 2 3 (mine: LAfromFN)
Humans of NY: this photo and sweet share
App: Tumblr (mine here & here)
Podcast: Serial✯✯✯✯✯ (finished, loved, mailkimp giggled, shivered, perplexed, impressed)
Inspiration: Anni Albers
Fave Moment: Hearing my grandma and mom talking while I had nap at my parents.. Then, watching Non Stop with my Dad and we were on the edges of our seats!
Fave Christmas Gift: Kate Spade - Things We Love book and this mug...
• JAN1 Olivia and Kennedy came over to work on their scrapbooks today :) I'm the kind of Aunty that only says no when it's harmful or against their parents smart wishes. I'm up for anything and love digging in with them. While showing me all the extra supplies they brought for their scrapbooks, Olivia looked up with bright eyes and said, "Lala! I brought SPARKLES". I finally said no to something, lol!This is my first time sharing a twin face on my blog! I've waited patiently for 8 years. Thank you Manda!
• JAN1 Spent the day at home with my ole' Lola. While watching a movie, she crawled on my lap for a little cuddle. A rare and precious start to the new year ❤
About my Monthly Posts. Check back occasionally for additions to this month long post.